Into Outside’s project goals are to eliminate barriers to young people connecting them with the outdoors by introducing them to the park’s natural wonders through emerging and social media. We also seek to provide the technology vehicles for partners to reach their community and provide online forums for facilitating feedback.
Visit Into Outside Online.
INTO OUTSIDE addresses key issues.
- Provides urgently needed tools and resources for youth to learn about and explore wild places
- Offers culturally relevant programming in multiple languages
- Addresses cultural interpretations regarding safety risks from being outdoors
- Improves availability of viable open space
- Extends programming and outreach to a broader range of youth
- Provides youth community a voice through online, social and mobile media
- Enables people everywhere to explore the wonder and beauty of the outside with digestible interpretation
- Provides a mobile tool to empower a park visitor with more information
- Inspires youth and their community to visit and protect wilderness areas
Goal ~ Develop and engage the online and mobile platform with fully integrated social media tools.
Need ~ Creating awareness and ownership among youth is vital to National Parks and other public lands’ long-term sustainability. Youth are the access point to reach these underserved communities.
Participants of the UC Merced Yosemite Leadership Program (YLP) and the Adventure Risk Challenge Program will also post their ideas, videos, photos and personal experiences with full sharing capability.
INTO OUTSIDE PLATFORM
Into Outside online platform is being used by the Collaborative to provide the necessary emerging media component to engage students virtual and via mobile technology.
Into Outside is being designed to support ventures that eliminate frequently-cited barriers to connecting young people with the outdoors. Into Outside affords an exceptional opportunity to affect deep and lasting social change with these partnerships.